Tuesday, December 6, 2011

M62 v8 540i engine swap into an E46 coupe?

I am trying to do research into what modifications need done in the engine bay of an E46 coupe to accomodate the 4.6 v8 from a 540i. My main concerns are the location of the sump, and steering column. Does anyone have any experience or knowledge on what needs modified? does the steering column need modified? will the steering rack obstruct the sump? does the manual gearbox fit in the floorpan? I expect custom manifolds will be needed anyway but I want to know about any unforseen issues that I have not accounted for. I am aware of anti roll bar and ecu, springs and brakes etc. My problem is specifically the physical fitment of the engine into the e46 coupe.|||There will be a ton of mods, and fabrication/work time alone will run you near $8000 to do it right. Now toss in the cost of the engine, and all engine components, custom drive shaft, etc... You really are better of buying something with the V8, or supercharging your I6 (much cheaper).





And no, the CSL did not come with a V8. It had the 3.2L I6 with 350 bhp.|||I would recommend the site unofficialbmw.com for this question. They have many people there that do this regularly.





I have seen many people put awesome E46 engines into an E30, but they will know about your question as well.





BMW got a V8 in there for the CSL (pretty sure) as well as new E90 3-series, so it should work somehow.

No comments:

Post a Comment