Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Any idea whats causing humming noise in front of my car?

There is an intermittent humming noise in avensis, more so when turning. I have a problem and cant seem to get to the bottom of it, there is a slight humming noise when drive, but it sounds louder when you turn, it sounds like something is rubbing or there is a buldge in the tyre but theres not.


Just to mention a few things that have been done, all new anti roll bar links and bushins, changed a hub cause thought it was a bearin, got wheels balanced and when that made no difference swapped wheels with wheels on back in case it was the tyres. Boot rubbers and drives also seem ok. ???


It doesnt seem to be affecting the way it drives. Any help is welcome as it is driving me mad to find out whats causing it in case it is the start of someting bigger!|||There are four hubs in the car,hard to pinpoint which unless the noise is very loud.Possibly the hub replaced is not the culprit?|||my rack and pinion went bad and my power steering failed , so i had that replaced now my car humms , especially when turning , my mechanic said some power steering pumps hum more than others and he would not change it. he said it could last 10 years humming like it is.|||If it's humming.. then it probably forgot the words.... he,he,he...





Seriously.. I go along with the power steering pump suggestion|||check your power steering fluid condition. it would tell you the condition of your pump.|||it sounds like a wheel bearing it could be front or rear have all 4 looked at|||Did you check both hub bearings? That's what my car did when the hub bearing was shot.|||it may be something as simple as the type of tread on your tires|||Occam's Razor.....Get a can of belt dressing and spray all your belts while the engine is running. If it happens when you are turning then that means that something is under extra stress then like your power steering. There are several parts to the power steering that consists of rods pistons, pumps and belts as well as hoses and fittings. me. I'd look there first then use the process of elimination...Sorry this one is going to be a P I T A....Pain In The ....





By the way...have you checked for road debris? I have gotten branches and limbs caught and hidden in my wheel wells and other parts and they drove me crazy with noise that I just could not place.





New thought....my Avalon makes a "rubbing noise" and it could be that your front brake rotors are warped a bit and as they turn they "rub a bit' on your brake pads. I do not mean your pads are bad but that the rotors might be a bit warped and they do make a rubbing type noise.

No comments:

Post a Comment